Associate in Science Degree Program
This program may be taken online or on campus.
Hegis Code: 5101
NYSED Code: 80034
Students who complete this program earn an Associate in Science degree. This program is recommended for students planning careers in computer science. The program provides a strong programming and theoretical background for entry into the workplace or further study at a four‐year institution.
Student Learning Outcomes
At the completion of the AS in Computer Science Degree program a student will be able to
- Prepare for further study at the baccalaureate level, while providing electives to allow students to pursue personal or professional interests in the general field of computing;
- Prepare lab assignments, individual and group projects, and written and oral reports to develop technical, business, and critical thinking skills;
- Practice the fundamentals of software engineering techniques through the use of UML, the creation of requirement, design and test artifacts, and through an emphasis on OOP/OOD and re‐use technologies during the course delivery.
This curriculum prepares graduates to transfer into baccalaureate computer science programs, but it also provides potential for employment. SUNY Ulster’s core computer science courses are a JAVA sequence. Upon successful completion of the program, students have sufficient mastery of the material to become JAVA programmers.
Requirements for Program Entry
- High school diploma or equivalent
- Satisfactory placement in Entering Student Assessment
- MAT 115
Developmental Assistance Available
For students who do not meet basic reading and math requirements or who have other learning issues, extra assistance is readily available through SUNY Ulster’s Learning Center, The Gary and Janaki Math Center, the Writing Center, the Peer and Friend Tutor Program, and English as a Second Language (ESL) tutors.
For More Information
1‐800‐724‐0833 ext. 5018 or 5022
Chairperson, Science, Technology, Engineering & Mathematics
Office: Burroughs Hall, BUR 105
Phone: 800:724‐0833, ext. 7683 or 845:687‐7683