Aug 17, 2018  
2014-2016 Catalog 
2014-2016 Catalog [ARCHIVED CATALOG]

Admissions & Registration

General Entrance Requirements

Open-Door Policy

As a full opportunity, open-door institution, SUNY Ulster assures a place for applicants meeting the admissions requirements. Although admission is generally assured for most applicants, SUNY Ulster does not guarantee acceptance into particular programs of study. In accordance with New York State law, the College reserves the right to refuse admission to any applicant when it is deemed in the best interest of the College to do so or if the College determines that the applicant does not have the ability to benefit from the College’s instruction.

SUNY Ulster’s open-door policy signifies the desire to make education accessible to all motivated students, regardless of previous experience or performance, if the student can benefit from the College’s educational programs. One of SUNY Ulster’s goals is to equip its students with the necessary knowledge and skills to succeed in the job market or in a four-year college.

The Matriculated Student

A matriculated student is one who has formally applied to the College and has been formally accepted into a degree, certificate, or diploma program. Applicants for matriculation must possess either a local or Regents high school diploma or a High School Equivalency diploma (GED, TASC, etc.). An IEP diploma is not a recognized diploma.

Matriculated students experience several advantages. Matriculated students may

  • Enroll full-time or part-time,
  • Apply for financial aid,
  • Apply for any of the various scholarships available,
  • Be assigned an academic advisor, and
  • Be awarded a degree, certificate or diploma.

Applicants for matriculation or admission should follow these procedures:

  1. Candidates must complete either the SUNY Ulster application (free application) or the SUNY application (fee required) listing SUNY Ulster as their choice. Both applications are available online at the College’s website or at high schools, SUNY Ulster’s Admissions Office, and SUNY Ulster satellite sites.
  2. Candidates should have their high school guidance office send an official copy of their high school transcript directly to the SUNY Ulster Admissions Office. Applicants who graduated from high school 10 or more years ago may substitute their high school diploma to meet this requirement. A copy of the original will be made in the Admissions Office. Applicants who possess an Associate in Arts, Associate in Science, Associate in Applied Science, or a Baccalaureate Degree will not be required to submit an official high school transcript, providing that all official college transcripts have been supplied to the Admissions Office.
  3. If candidates possess a High School Equivalency diploma they must present official test results or Diploma to SUNY Ulster’s Admissions Office. A copy of the original will be made in the Admissions Office.
  4. If applicable, candidates should make a formal request to all previously attended post-secondary institutions that official copies of their transcripts be sent directly to SUNY Ulster’s Admissions Office. Students transferring credit to SUNY Ulster should refer to the section on Transfer Admissions for more information about transfer credits and graduation residency requirements.
  5. Applicants who have completed college course work for college credit or have taken Advanced Placement (AP) testing through the College Board may be eligible for transfer credits. Official college transcripts and/or AP testing results from the College Board must be submitted to the Office of Admissions for consideration.
  6. Scholastic Aptitude Test (SAT) or American College Test (ACT) are not required for admissions.

Candidates should send applications and transcripts to

Ulster County Community College
Admissions Office
Vanderlyn Hall, VAN 101
PO Box 557
Stone Ridge, NY 12484

  1. Students may be required to take the Entering Student Assessment. This assessment will assist the advisor in registering the student in appropriate courses.
  2. NYS Public Health Law 2165 requires students who were born on or after January 1, 1957, and who are taking six or more credits in any one semester to provide at the time they register proof of immunization against measles, mumps, and rubella. Students who need these immunizations should contact College Health Services, SEN 139, (800) 724-0833, extension 5246, or (845) 687-5246. NYS Public Health Law 2167 requires that all college and university students complete and return the meningitis response portion of the immunization form.
  3. All transcripts must be in English. For transcripts not in English, we require that all translated transcripts and evaluation be sent by a member of the National Association of Credential Services, Should you have any questions, please contact the Office of Admissions.
  4. Telephone and e-mail inquiries may be directed to

(800) 724-0833, extension 5022

All documents submitted for admissions become the property of the SUNY Ulster Admissions Office and will not be returned to the student or forwarded to a third party. After ten years, the College is not required to retain documents received.

Home-Schooled Applicants

In accordance with the policy set forth by the State University of New York (SUNY), students who are home schooled must satisfy one of the following to be eligible for consideration for admission to SUNY Ulster:

  1. The student must have a passing score on the State high school equivalency diploma (GED) test. Only students who have reached the maximum compulsory age of school attendance are eligible to take this test.
  2. The student must provide a letter from the superintendent of the school district in which the student resides, attesting to the student’s completion of home instruction meeting the requirements of Section 100.10 of the regulations of the Commissioner of Education or equivalent for students who reside outside of New York State.

*Home-schooled students who have not reached “maximum compulsory school attendance age” and wish to enroll in coursework at SUNY Ulster may qualify for our Early College Program. Please see section under Early College Programs for more information.

International Students Applying for an F-1 Student Visa

International students who are non-United States citizens who have attended secondary school outside the United States OR international students currently attending a college or university in this country who attended secondary school in another country should apply to the College as an international student in need of an I-20 (F-1 Visa). In addition to the General Entrance Requirements, international students seeking admission to the College and a USCIS Form I-20 must submit additional information along with their applications. Further information is available at International student applications are due by June 1 for the fall semester, November 1 for the spring semester, and April 1 for summer session.

The College does not have on-campus housing accommodations. International students may seek their own housing or choose to participate in the Homestay program and live with a local host family; visit the College website for information.

It is mandatory by law that this College collect and report information for the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS). Enrolled international students will be responsible for keeping the international student advisor apprised of information related to these immigration laws. Additional information about Student and Exchange Visitor Information System (SEVIS) fees and requirements will be provided to accepted international applicants.

International students meet with the international student advisor upon arrival at the College. An appointment with the advisor can be made by contacting the Admissions Office at (845) 687-5022 or admissions@

Visitors to the United States with a Tourist Visa (B2) or Visa Waiver are prohibited by law from enrolling in a full course of study.

Transfer Applicants

SUNY Ulster welcomes transfer applicants from other colleges and universities.

If you attended any other college, you must have official transcripts forwarded to SUNY Ulster from all institutions you’ve attended previously. Transfer credit will be evaluated upon receipt of all official transcripts and awarded for courses that meet the following criteria:

  • The courses were completed at a regionally accredited post-secondary institution;
  • The courses were completed with a grade of C- or better;
  • The courses’ content and scope are applicable to the program requirements at SUNY Ulster, and;
  • The cumulative average of all courses being accepted by SUNY Ulster is a 2.0 or higher.

Additional information for Transfer Students:

  • In subject areas of English, Math and Science a grade of C or better may be required.
  • The College may approve up to six credit hours of D+, D, or D- work in general electives only.
  • Grades and quality points for courses transferred from other schools will not appear on the SUNY Ulster transcript or be part of your SUNY Ulster grade-point average.
  • To earn a degree from SUNY Ulster you must complete at least 30 credit-bearing semester hours at SUNY Ulster. If you want to obtain a one-year diploma you must complete at least 15 semester hours at SUNY Ulster, regardless of the number of semester hours earned elsewhere.
  • SUNY has implemented an appeal process for transfer students with concerns regarding credits from other SUNY institutions. Students may find out further information by linking into
  • SUNY Ulster also grants credits for those non-traditional experiences, including Military experiences and Non-Collegiate Sponsored Instruction (PONSI) that are approved the by the American Council on Education (ACE) and are applicable to the curriculum in which a student is matriculating.
  • College credit earned through the College Level Examination Program (CLEP), the CEEB, Advanced Placement Program, the Excelsior College Examination Program and the Dantes Subject Standardized Tests (DSST) are also recognized.
  • Credits earned from a non-regionally accredited institution but a recognized accrediting organization may be awarded on an individual basis and subject to departmental and Dean of Academic Affairs approval.


Former SUNY Ulster students who were enrolled previously and have not attended SUNY Ulster for one or more consecutive semesters are required to complete an application for Readmission. Applicants readmitting to the college are also required to submit official transcripts from other academic institutions they have attended after a break in enrollment at SUNY Ulster. Applicants currently enrolled in coursework at another college at the time of application will be required to submit an official final transcript upon completion of work in progress.

Please note credits earned at SUNY Ulster are always valid; however, an evaluation of the age of selected credit courses identified as critical to the program may result in requiring the student to enroll in additional coursework to complete a degree at the College.

Fresh Start

Fresh Start (FS) provides a student who left SUNY Ulster without completing an academic program an opportunity to return and start again with a new grade-point average (GPA). FS is an option, however, only for students who have not taken a course at SUNY Ulster for at least two academic years.

The FS student will retain previous credit that (1) was completed with a grade of C- or better and (2) can be applied to the requirements of the student’s current academic program. However, no quality points earned from these courses will be applied to the student’s GPA. The College may allow up to six credit hours of D+, D, or D- work from the student’s previous courses when the inclusion of that work will allow the GPA for course work being accepted under FS to be 2.0 or higher. These credits will be considered only as open electives and will not be accepted in the major area of study.

Only quality points earned from courses taken after readmission will then apply to the student’s GPA. In addition, only those courses taken after readmission will count toward the student’s eligibility for the Dean’s List and other honors.

The eligible student will be granted FS officially only after completion of 12 new credit-bearing semester hours with a GPA of 2.0 or higher in courses approved by the Associate Dean of Student Services. To be eligible for a degree, the student must take at least 18 additional credit-bearing semester hours at SUNY Ulster for a minimum of 30 credit hours after readmission. The FS student who wishes to obtain a one-year diploma must complete a total of 15 credit-bearing semester hours after readmission.

Application for FS must be made at the time of reentry and can be made only once during a student’s academic career at SUNY Ulster. Once accepted, the student cannot petition for any other transcript modification. The student will sign an agreement acknowledging his or her understanding of this policy.

Graduation Residency Requirements

Students who wish to obtain an Associate’s degree from SUNY Ulster are required to complete at least 30 credit- bearing semester hours at SUNY Ulster. Those wishing to obtain a one-year diploma must complete at least 15 semester hours at SUNY Ulster, regardless of the number of semester hours earned elsewhere.

Specific Program Requirements


Admission to the Nursing program is selective and highly competitive. Applicants must be legal residents of Ulster County. Legal residency is defined as being a United States Citizen or permanent resident having resided in Ulster County for six months and New York State for one year. Applicants must complete specified application criteria by a pre-determined deadline. For curriculum and requirements refer to our website at

Students must have and maintain a minimum 2.5 GPA in all required courses in order to be considered for entry in the Nursing Program. All required science courses must have been completed within the last five years with a minimum grade of 2.0 or higher. Students must have an overall GPA of 2.0.

Veterinary Technology

Admission to the Veterinary Technology Program’s clinical course is selective and competitive. Applicants must complete specified criteria by a pre-determined date. For information on curriculum and requirements, refer to our website at

Online Learning

OASIS Program

(Online Associate in Science Degree in Individual Studies)

Candidates for the online degree must meet all admissions requirements.

Transfer students may have a maximum of 31 applicable academic credits transferred. A minimum of 15 of the remaining 30 academic credits for the degree must be completed with SUNY Ulster classes. The remaining 15 credits must be met with SUNY Learning Network courses.

Additional information about the SUNY Learning Network class or program may be seen by going to: This connects directly to the SUNY Learning Network home page.

High School Partnerships

Collegian Program

SUNY Ulster’s Collegian Program enables talented high school students to enroll in college classes taught during the day by selected high school faculty and to earn college credit for these classes. While specific classes vary from high school to high school, classes have included college English, American history, computer art, psychology, accounting, criminal justice, math, general biology, Spanish, and computer applications for business. The Program has enabled hundreds of talented students to complete high school graduation requirements while earning credits towards a college degree. Students who are interested in taking Collegian classes should meet with their high school guidance counselors or a SUNY Ulster Admissions Counselor.

The Early College Program

Our Early College Program offers motivated high school students with the opportunity to get a head-start on their college careers by enrolling in SUNY Ulster coursework. Candidates for this program may include, but are not limited to,

  • High school seniors seeking to complete remaining high school graduation requirements at SUNY Ulster;
  • High school students interested in completing some coursework at SUNY Ulster; and
  • Home-schooled students with SUNY Ulster coursework built into an approved Individual Home Instructional Plan (IHIP) within the school district they reside.

To apply candidates must complete our Early College Program Application. The application must be signed by the applicant, the applicant’s parent or guardian and appropriate school official(s) in order to be considered for this program. Applicants enrolled in high school are required to submit an official high school transcript with their application. Home-schooled applicants must provide a letter from the appropriate school official(s) indicating an approved Individual Home Instruction Plan (IHIP) is on file with the district. All applicants are also required to complete our Entering Student Assessment Exam, which will be used as an advisement tool to measure academic readiness for SUNY Ulster coursework.

Students in the Early College Program will be eligible for full or part-time study and may enroll in coursework providing they place into or meet the pre/co-requisite requirements of the course(s) they intend to enroll in. Early College Program students may also qualify to take honors coursework, based on the results of their entering student assessment exam results, or by advisement.

Students enrolled in our early College Program are considered non-matriculated and do not qualify for financial aid. SUNY Ulster is not responsible for monitoring the graduation requirements for individual students; therefore, students using our Early College Program to fulfill high school graduation requirements are responsible for staying in contact with appropriate school officials.

Other students may be eligible to pursue our Early College Program and are reviewed on a case by case basis.

Additional Admissions Information

College Scholars Program

Each Year, SUNY Ulster and the Ulster Community College Foundation, Inc., provide funding that guarantees full tuition to graduating students from Ulster County high schools or to graduating high school students who are residents of Ulster County who rank in the top 10 percent of their graduating class.

This award is combined with all other financial aid awards and Ulster Community College Foundation, Inc. scholarships to guarantee full tuition for full-time study. The scholarship is good for two consecutive semesters and does not cover fees or books. After completing a full academic year at SUNY Ulster and maintaining a minimum 3.3 cumulative GPA, students may be eligible for a second-year of College Scholars funding at SUNY Ulster.

To be eligible, all applicants must

  • Graduate from an Ulster County high school or be a resident of Ulster County and graduate in the same year of application to SUNY Ulster and attend no other college or university.
  • Receive a NYS Regents Diploma.
  • Apply for Federal and State financial aid and provide all award certificates to SUNY Ulster’s Financial Aid Office.
  • Apply and be accepted into full-time study.

Servicemembers Opportunity Colleges (SOC)

SUNY Ulster is a member of SOC, the Servicemembers Opportunity Colleges. SOC is a consortium of national higher education associations functioning in cooperation with the Department of Defense (DOD) and the Military Services, including the National Guard and the Coast Guard. This civilian military partnership allows servicemembers to

  • Earn an associate’s degree online or on campus while in the service;
  • Enroll in the college concurrently with enlistment in the Army or Army Reserve through the Concurrent Admissions Program (CONAP); and
  • Earn college credit for evaluation from military training and programs.

Information on obtaining military transcripts and military education benefits can be found on the SUNY Ulster website or by contacting the Admissions Office. In accordance with Section 487 of the US Higher Education Act as amended 2008, matriculated SUNY Ulster students who are called to active military duty while enrolled at SUNY Ulster shall not be denied readmissions to the College upon return. Individuals called to active service should contact the Registrar’s Office for a Military Leave of Absence.

English Proficiency

Students applying to the College for whom English is a second language must show proficiency in English in one of the following ways:

  1. A high school diploma from an institution where English is the language of instruction and satisfactory performance on the Entering Student Assessment;
  2. A GED taken in English and satisfactory performance on the Entering Student Assessment; or
  3. A score of 500 or better on the paper-based Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL); 173 or better on the computer-based test; or 70 or better on the Internet-based test. Applicants may request that TOEFL scores be sent directly from Educational Testing Services to SUNY Ulster by entering the school code 2938 on score reporting documents. The College will also accept a score of Grade 1 on the Step EIKEN test for native speakers of Japanese.

Ability to Benefit

Students who attend secondary school outside of the United States may be required to take the Ability to Benefit (ATB) exam in accordance with State ATB guidelines in determining eligibility for some types of financial aid.

Applicants with Permanent Residency

Students applying to SUNY Ulster who were NOT born in the United States must show proof of citizenship or permanent resident status. If students are permanent residents of the United States, they must provide their alien registration numbers on the SUNY Ulster application and bring their Green Cards to the Admissions Office so a copy may be made.

Non-US Citizens

Students applying to SUNY Ulster who are not permanent residents will be required to submit a Student Affidavit of Intent to Legalize Immigration Status. Financial aid is not available to non-US citizens who do not have permanent residency status.

Out-of-County Residents

All applicants who are residents of New York State but not residents of Ulster County must provide a Certificate of Residence from their home county every fall in order to receive the in-county tuition rate at SUNY Ulster. A Certificate of Residence may be obtained from the Chief Fiscal Officer of the home county and must be given to the SUNY Ulster Student Accounts Office to ensure proper charges and billing. International students admitted with form I-20 are prohibited from establishing U.S. residency and will be assessed the out-of-county rate for the duration of their enrollment. For more information, please call or write the Student Accounts Office, VAN 204, (800) 724-0833, extension 5099, or (845) 687-5099.

Applicants with Prior Felony Convictions

A felony in New York State law is defined as a crime for which more than one year in prison may be imposed. All applicants are asked if they have been convicted of a felony. An affirmative response will not automatically prevent admission, but they will be asked by SUNY Ulster to provide additional information. This information will be reviewed by a campus committee to ensure campus safety. Any falsification or omission of data may result in denial of admission or disciplinary action.

Alternate Modes for Earning College Credit

In addition to the direct transfer of credit from other accredited institutions, SUNY Ulster recognizes many nontraditional modes of learning, including credit for life experience and proficiency examinations. Students who avail themselves of these opportunities to earn credit must still meet the residency requirement (a minimum of 30 credit-bearing semester hours of academic course work at SUNY Ulster for the associate’s degree and 15 credit-bearing semester hours for the one-year diploma). Any course for which alternate credit is given may not be repeated at the College for credit. Students intending to transfer to four-year institutions should be aware that any credit received from alternate modes will be subject to re-evaluation by the four-year institution. These credits will not be used in calculating the cumulative average. The alternate paths toward earning credits for a degree are described below.

Advanced Placement

SUNY Ulster recognizes college-level courses taken by students while still in high school. Advanced Placement (AP) examination scores of 3, 4, or 5 will normally earn college credit for corresponding courses. Credit for AP courses will be given upon admission to SUNY Ulster and presentation of the AP transcript. Recognition of transfer credit for AP course work varies from college to college.

College Level Examination Program (CLEP)

The College recognizes the College Level Examination Program (CLEP) subject examinations which are equivalent to courses currently acceptable for transfer to SUNY Ulster and on which the grade earned equates to a C or better. In addition, the College will award credit under the same guidelines for one CLEP general exam, College Composition.

For information regarding specific examinations, credit, fees, examination dates, locations, and minimum scores, interested students should contact SUNY Ulster’s Admissions Office.

Collegiate Level Learning Experience (CLLE)

Credit may be granted for Collegiate Level Learning Experience (CLLE). Credit may be granted for life experience, which can be equated with the knowledge and skills acquired by and expected of students who successfully complete college-level courses. Prior experience that may be applicable to college-level credit course work includes employment in related areas, previous independent study, military experience and training, distance- learning courses, volunteer activities, selected BOCES courses, or other special experiences.

Prior learning experience cannot be assumed to be equivalent to course work offered at the College, and the granting of credit is not automatic. The appropriateness of the experience must be demonstrated to the satisfaction of the faculty and the Dean of Academic Affairs before any college credit may be granted.

Application forms are available in the office of the Dean of Academic Affairs. An applicant must provide in a written proposal to the chairperson of the department in which credit is being sought some evidence of the reasonableness of the request for CLLE. All proposals from an individual must include proper documentation and other supporting evidence, including examination results (where appropriate), portfolio, published works, or testimonials. If the merits of the request are established, the department chairperson will appoint appropriate faculty members who will advise the student concerning appropriate materials which may demonstrate CLLE equivalence to specific SUNY Ulster courses and evaluate these materials.

The decision to award credit will be made by the appropriate chairperson. Credit will be given on a pass or fail basis through special assessment of the materials submitted. Credit will be recorded only if the student passes. Recommendations by the appropriate chairperson will be a prerequisite to the approval by the Dean of Academic Affairs. Notification is sent to the Registrar, the Student Accounts Office, and the student.

Credit will not be granted for learning that is not germane to the logical structure of a diploma or degree program. Documented learning, not simply life experience itself, should be the basis for credit.

A student may apply for CLLE credit in a prerequisite course providing the student does so prior to taking the higher-level course. Credit for CLLE will not be permitted for courses which were waived nor for courses such as Advanced Placement courses for which advanced standing has been permitted.

Note: A maximum of 25% of the total number of credits required for a program will be allowed through CLLE. Incoming students are advised that credit granted for CLLE is on a contingency basis. This allows a student’s previous learning experience to be evaluated before his or her formal matriculation. The student must continue in the program for at least 12 additional credit-bearing semester hours, achieving at least a 2.0 for those 12 credits before the awarding of the credits for CLLE will be made official.

Credit by Examination

Credit may be earned through Credit by Examination (CBE). The privilege of earning CBE is granted to all matriculated students who have earned 12 or more credit-bearing semester hours and have maintained a 2.0 or higher cumulative average.

Determination of an applicant’s eligibility for the examination rests with the department to which the applicant is applying. Application forms are available in the office of the Dean of Academic Affairs. An applicant must provide in a written proposal to the chairperson of the department in which the credit is being sought, some evidence of the reasonableness of the request for CBE. After reviewing the merits of the request, the department chairperson will appoint an appropriate faculty member to construct and evaluate the examination (if different from the final examination for the course in question). Whenever practicable, the examination will be scheduled with the regular final examinations, day or evening. If this is not possible, the faculty member assigned to conduct and evaluate the examination will arrange an alternate time.

The examination will be evaluated on a pass or fail basis. The decision to grant or withhold credit will be determined by the academic department concerned. The credit will be recorded only if the student passes the examination.

Credit by examination will not be permitted for a course which is a prerequisite if the student is taking or has taken the higher-level course. Examinations will not be permitted for courses which were waived or for courses such as Advanced Placement courses for which advanced standing has been permitted. Final approval for the credit rests with the Dean of Academic Affairs. Notification is sent to the Registrar, the Student Accounts Office, and the student.


Entering Student Assessment

To help ensure a successful college experience, SUNY Ulster requires all new applicants to take the Entering Student Assessment (with some exceptions granted to transfer students). This assessment consists of three main sections: English, reading comprehension, and mathematics. The purpose of this assessment is to ensure that all new students will be registered into the appropriate courses that meet the student’s particular academic needs. After the assessment is completed, students meet with an advisor to register for courses. The assessment results, together with the students’ academic transcripts, are used to begin the advisement and registration process. Students who are exempt from the assessment test will be notified by the Admissions Office.

Full-Time and Part-Time Study

A full-time student is one who is enrolled in 12 or more semester hours per semester. A part-time student is one who is enrolled in 11 or fewer semester hours per semester. All international students must register for a minimum of 12 credits for fall and spring semesters. Ordinarily, a full-time student may not, in any given semester, take more credits than are specified by the student’s program (normally, up to 18 credits). Students who wish to attempt more than 21 credits a semester must have the approval of the Associate Dean of Student Services or the Director of Career Services.

The College also holds registration sessions before the start of each semester. It is advisable for all students to apply and register as early as possible because early registration offers students the best opportunity to build schedules of their choice.

Following the first semester of attendance, continuing students are encouraged to preregister individually with their academic advisors. This process ensures the best opportunity to select from the widest choice of class availability. Preregistration for the next semester is held for a period of four weeks shortly after the middle of the semester.

Registration for Nonmatriculated Students

Nonmatriculated students (those not seeking a degree) should register for coursework through the Registrar’s Office. While not degree-seeking, they may avail themselves of the assessment tests and other counseling services. Advance mail and phone registration, as well as online registration via the College’s website, are also possible for nondegree students.

For those students taking advantage of the Business Resource Center (BRC), the College also holds special registrations there. Even if students are interested in taking courses on the Stone Ridge campus, they may still register for those courses at the BRC.

Cross Registration

Any full-time student at SUNY Ulster may register without additional tuition charges in certain courses offered by SUNY New Paltz and Dutchess Community College. SUNY Ulster students who wish to take a course at these colleges are subject to the following limitations:

  1. The student is a full-time student at SUNY Ulster;
  2. The student receives approval of the Registrar;
  3. The course is not being offered at SUNY Ulster;
  4. The student has met all the necessary prerequisites for the course; and
  5. The student receives permission from the Registrar of the participating college.

Further information regarding Cross Registration may be obtained through the Registrar’s Office, VAN 206; 800: 724-0833, extension 5075, or 845: 687-5075; or e-mail

SUNY Cross-Registration Student Guidelines for Full-Time Undergraduate Students (fall and spring)
Home institution=the institution where you are matriculated.
Host institution=the institution you are seeking to take additional courses with.

  1. You must be a full-time matriculated undergraduate student at your home institution in order to waive tuition at the host institution.
  2. You are limited to (6) credits of undergraduate cross-registered coursework per semester (exceptions to this policy must be approved by the home institution and additional tuition fees may apply.)
  3. You must have the approval of both the home and host institution. You are responsible for ensuring that the course(s) you register for meet the requirements of your degree. If you change your major/minor, the courses you cross-register for may no longer count toward your degree requirements.
  4. Please NOTE: even if you have the permission of the instructor or have satisfied all pre-requisites/co-requisites necessary for enrollment at the host institution, you must still complete the registration process through the appropriate office at the host institution to be considered officially registered in a course.
  5. Registration dates and deadlines vary by college. You are responsible for contacting the host institution for registration related dates and deadlines and determining which office(s) are responsible for signing your form.
  6. You will be responsible for the attendance and academic requirements of the course even if home and host calendars do not coincide.
  7. Your signature on the Cross-Registration Agreement is considered approval for the host institution to automatically release grades/transcripts to your home institution at the end of the semester.
  8. Enrollment changes may impact your eligibility for financial aid for the current term and/or future terms, (e.g. dropping below full-time). Please consult your Financial Aid Office regarding academic eligibility for financial aid, including satisfactory academic progress standards.
  9. You are responsible for notifying the appropriate offices on BOTH campuses if you withdraw from a course(s) (Registrar, Student Accounts, Financial Aid etc.). Failure to do so can result in a failing grade at the host institution.
  10. Your signature on the Cross-Registration Agreement indicates your agreement to abide by all regulations imposed by the host institution (parking, attendance, library rules, etc.). In addition the host institution may apply rules and regulations to incoming students as it deems necessary (e.g. restrictions on classes based on seat availability). Be sure you are aware of those rules before you cross-register.
  11. Home institution students have priority for all courses at the college or university, so popular courses may be closed to cross-registrants because of space limitations.
  12. Mini-semester, Winter Term, and Summer Session are not covered by the Cross-Registration agreement.
  13. All course-related fees in excess of tuition are the responsibility of the student (e.g. lab fees).
  14. Please be advised that if you drop below full-time at your home institution, you may be liable for tuition at the host institution.
  15. Any Health Center (immunization/records/physical exam, etc.) requirements must be met at BOTH institutions, even if they differ.
  16. Students that cross-register at Community Colleges: You must file residency documents at the host institution. This means you will need to provide the Community College a Certificate of Residency (must be obtained from the county of your permanent residence).
  17. Registration is the responsibility of the student. You must check with the host institution to confirm how they plan to process your form, enrollment, and any necessary additional information or paperwork required to complete the enrollment process.

How to process your Cross-Registration:

  1. See advisement on the courses you wish to take. Consider whether or not they meet degree requirements.
  2. Obtain the signature of your academic advisor/chair/Dean (discretion of home institution).
  3. Obtain the signature of the appropriate official at the home institution responsible for Cross-Registration (Registrar, Student Accounts, etc.).
  4. Obtain the signature of the appropriate official at the host institution responsible for Cross-Registration (Registrar, Student Accounts, etc.).
  5. Complete any required application forms for the host institution.
  6. Return the completed Agreement to the home institution immediately upon registering with the host institution. Failure to return the Agreement will result in not being registered for the intended cross-registered course(s).

Second Degree Policy

To earn a second degree at SUNY Ulster, a student must successfully complete a minimum of 15 credits in residence beyond those earned for the first degree. These 15 credits must be in a different field of study and must, when combined with the other credits, fulfill the requirements of the second degree. SUNY Ulster On Track courses may not be included in the 15 credit-bearing residency requirement.

Registration for Students Over 60

Ulster County residents age 60 and older may audit credit courses offered by the College without paying tuition. The only provision is that there be space available in the class after other students have registered. Participants must pay all accompanying fees except the activities fee. Older adults may register on the first day of classes. For more details, interested applicants should call or write the Registrar’s Office, VAN 206; 800:724-0833, extension 5075, or 845: 687-5075; or e-mail: