Associate in Applied Science Degree Program (Career‐Oriented)
Hegis Code: 5004
NYSED Code: 01704
Students who complete this program in graphic design earn an Associate in Science degree. The program is recommended for students planning to transfer to four‐year colleges or universities for further study in the various fields of graphic communications, such as advertising, graphic design, computer graphics, package design, web design, gaming design, and related fields.
Student Learning Outcomes
At the completion of the AS Advertising Design & Graphic Technology Degree program, a student will be able to
- Identify and analyze a variety of real world design problems, develop a creative problem solving approach with an emphasis on tangible results;
- Demonstrate a historical art and design perception and knowledge;
- Utilize a design vocabulary and design literacy;
- Develop and demonstrate a critical eye to evaluate and critique design;
- Recognize the major influences that shaped design in the 20th century;
- Demonstrate the relevancies of numerous categories of design;
- Produce a portfolio that demonstrates relevant technical skills and competence with design disciplines and categories ready for employment in a professional design field and as a desirable candidate for transfer.
Graduates of the program who continue their education and earn a baccalaureate or higher‐level degree will be qualified for such positions as advertising directors, art directors, or graphic designers. With the growth of computer use, e‐commerce, and digital media, demand for employees skilled in computer graphics is high.
Requirements for Program Entry
- High school diploma or equivalent
- Satisfactory placement in Entering Student Assessment
Developmental Assistance Available
For students who do not meet basic reading and math requirements or who have other learning issues, extra assistance is readily available through SUNY Ulster’s Learning Center, The Gary and Janaki Math Center, the Writing Center, the Peer and Friend Tutor Program, and English as a Second Language (ESL) tutors.
For More Information
1‐800‐724‐0833 ext. 5018 or 5022
Coordinator, Graphic Design
Office: Vanderlyn Hall, VAN 260A
Phone: 800:724‐0833, ext. 1588 or 845:687‐1588