Associate in Science Program
Hegis Code: 5610
NYSED Code: 32032
The Music program is designed to provide students with foundation courses in music theory, music history, and applied music that will prepare them for transfer to bachelor’s degree programs for further study in music. The program is a core curriculum with a complementary selection of general education courses. This program is available for both part‐time and full‐time students.
Student Learning Outcomes
At the completion of the AS Music Degree program, a student will be able to
- Demonstrate competency on their major instrument;
- Demonstrate an understanding of the history of western music;
- Demonstrate an understanding of music theory and ear training;
- Demonstrate the ability to perform solo and within ensembles.
Students in the Music program will develop technical, practical, aural, and theoretical skills. This training will provide the foundation for future study in a four‐year college or conservatory, and could lead to careers in music performance, music education, or music therapy.
Requirements for Program Entry
- High school diploma or equivalent
- Satisfactory placement in Entering Student Assessment
- Placement testing in music theory
Developmental Assistance Available
For students who do not meet basic reading and math requirements or who have other learning issues, extra assistance is readily available through SUNY Ulster’s Learning Center, The Gary and Janaki Math Center, the Writing Center, the Peer and Friend Tutor Program, and English as a Second Language (ESL) tutors.
For More Information
1‐800‐724‐0833 ext. 5018 or 5022
Office: Vanderlyn Hall, VAN 140
Phone: 800‐724‐0833, ext. 1949 or 845‐688‐1949