Associate in Science Degree Program
Hegis Code: 5012
NYSED Code: 36785
This program will provide students with foundation courses in apparel drawing and design, draping and flat pattern making, garment construction, design presentation, computer-aided design and costume history. Courses will be taught by faculty who are working professionals using techniques and equipment employed in the industry. The program is both inspiring and challenging as students learn and incorporate artistic, technical and theoretical skills that will prepare them for transfer to complete their four-year degree or entering the job market with increased employability and opportunity for career advancement.
Student Learning Outcomes
At the completion of the AS Fashion Design Degree program, a student will be able to
- Demonstrate knowledge of the apparel development process from concept through realization and construction
- Communicate, present and defend creative design ideas and critique peer student designs
- Develop sewing, flat pattern and draping skills to construct garments
- Develop drawing, rendering and computer-aided design techniques to present illustrated apparel concepts
- Produce a portfolio that demonstrates competence in apparel construction, design and rendering for a variety of markets and categories
Graduates of this program pursue a variety of fashion careers that include apparel designer, product developer, stylist, technical designer, buyer, inventory planner, merchandiser, costume designer, and fashion retail positions.
Requirements for Program Entry
- High school diploma or equivalent
- Satisfactory placement in Entering Student Assessment
Developmental Assistance Available
For students who do not meet basic reading and math requirements or who have other learning issues, extra assistance is readily available through SUNY Ulster’s Learning Center, The Gary and Janaki Math Center, the Writing Center, the Peer and Friend Tutor Program, and English as a Second Language (ESL) tutors.
For More Information
Coordinator, Fashion Design
Office: Vanderlyn Hall, VAN 119 M
Phone: 800:724‐0833, ext. 6006 or 845:687‐6006
Find Curriculum here.